Support and Training for 70/30 Ambassadors
We invest a lot of time in supporting our Ambassadors in the knowledge that a well-supported volunteer is a tremendous asset and invaluable in helping us to reach our goal.
We cherish, train and support our volunteers.
Our Ambassadors are at the heart of the 70/30 Campaign. Without them, we wouldn’t be able to raise awareness of the importance of prevention or engage and influence key decision-makers across the country in the way that we do.
All our volunteers receive comprehensive inductions, training and ongoing support, including access to a wide range of materials and resources. Through your induction and ongoing learning, you will be supported in gaining the skills and knowledge you need to make a real difference to your community.
It’s normal to feel nervous and have lots of questions when you start something new and volunteering’s no different. Don’t worry though, we’ll be here to support you and make sure it all goes smoothly. Most importantly, we’ll also make sure you have a jolly good time doing it!
There are four core areas for you to learn about as part of your induction. These are:
- An introduction to the 70/30 Campaign
- The impact of child abuse and neglect on children
- What volunteering with the 70/30 Campaign involves
- How your volunteering makes a difference to the families in your community
Our induction checklist shows where you can find all of that information, and lets you know a bit more about what to expect in your first few months.
We want to make sure that you feel happy and confident enough to carry out your role. So, in addition to your induction, we provide comprehensive training for each and every one of our volunteers before they begin their journey as a 70/30 Ambassador. Training is delivered by one of the 70/30 Campaign team members at WAVE Trust and is done online so you can take part from the comfort of your own home!
There are 4 training sessions in total. Here’s a breakdown of what to expect from each one:
The theory behind 70/30
- An introduction to the 70/30 Strategy
- Why the 70/30 Campaign is needed
- Primary Prevention: The importance of the early years
- Child maltreatment and its effects on early brain development
- Childhood Trauma and its effects
- Trauma-informed care and why it matters
- Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) and how they affect lifelong outcomes.
- The fundamentals of an ACE-informed Approach
- The 70/30 Alliance and support for 70/30
Making Primary Prevention Happen: What it could look like in your area
- What primary prevention is and why it is needed
- What primary prevention is trying to achieve and how
- Detailed blueprint of WAVE Trust’s Pioneer Communities project
- What we are measuring through the project and how
- Cost of implementation and potential savings
- Example of PC project (Londonderry & Strabane, N. Ireland)
Identifying what is in your Community & Engaging with Key Local Contacts
- Identifying your key local contacts for 70/30
- Big fish vs. small fish
- Engaging with your local political representatives
- Networking with local services
- The ask
- Step by step mentoring through the process of engagement
How to measure your impact
- Signing up and signing in
- Your home page
- How to log progress
- Why you need to log your progress
- How to create a new beneficiary
- How to see your project’s activity
- How to see all your projects
- How to see the 70/30 Network’s activity
“The training sessions with Sara were great. They were flexible which made it very easy to fit around work and other commitments.
Sara was very knowledgeable and answered
all my questions. The training has really helped me to understand what to do next and the best way to do it.”
Joining the Network
Find out how to apply to become one of our volunteers.
If you have any queries or would like an informal discussion regarding volunteering with The 70/30 Campaign, please feel free to contact our campaigns team on 020 8688 3773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively, please complete the Ambassador Application Form.
- Makerble’s Impact Tracker tool – Measuring your impact in your community.
- Impact Tracker User Guide [PDF] – The Reporters How to Guide to Makerble. Follow this simple step-by-step visual guide on how to use Makerble’s online Impact Tracker tool to measure your impact.
- 70/30 Action Pack [PDF] – A group action pack jam-packed with tips, guides, templates and much more to support you in all of your actions and activities for 70/30!
- 70/30 Ambassador Closed Group on Facebook – A safe space for all our Ambassadors and volunteers to come together, share learnings and experiences and connect with other volunteers online.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for all the latest news across the campaign.